Prep 8 mins
Cook 37 mins
Just called "Baked Cabbage" in "Soup to Nuts." The dressing and cheese make it different from the other baked cabbage recipes posted here.
- 1 medium green cabbage
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- Cut cabbage into 8 wedges and place in a large saucepan with a small amount of water and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil, covered, for 12 minutes, or until tender; drain.
- Place in a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Meanwhile, saute green pepper and onion in butter in a skillet just until tender but not brown.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in milk and cheese gradually.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Spoon this over the cabbage and bake at 375 degrees F. for 20 minutes.
- Spoon salad dressing over the sauce layer and bake 5 minutes longer.
Awesome!!! This is rich and delicious. I made this just as written, but I may have used more than 1/2 cup of cheese. ;) Thanx for a new and different cabbage recipe. I'll be making this again.
This was interesting & quite good. I made it because I had all the ingredients. It was very tasty.