Recipe by Freya
These are so addictive. Thor remembered a "beer sausage" from his college days and set out to recreate it, since they are now non-existant. Be sure to use the entire bunch of dill, it does make a difference. I prefer to use Penzeys' Crushed Brown Mustard Seeds as they seem to impart a richer, more full-bodied flavor than regular mustard powder (but feel free to substitute the powder). You can also use the brine for pickled eggs. Cooking time is optimal chilling time.
Top Review by DEEP
I have to agree with Chef Shadows. This recipe is good, but additional garlic and pepper would take it up a knotch. Since I don't eat wieners often, I'm just going to go ahead and add both now, as I'm sure they'll be around for awhile in the fridge. These will be great with a good chunk of cheese and some crusty bread for an ocassional quick lunch. Update: After increasing the garlic, taking into cosideration it's "heads" of garlic, not cloves, these are quite tasty. I did add about 2tsp. add'l pepper flakes, also. I ate one tonight for that period between dinner and bed. With saltines and a chunk of cheddar it hit the spot. I'll be keeping these around just for such moments. I'll leave the 4 star rating, as they are not exactly true to the pickled weenies I grew up with, but they are acceptable.
- 3 lbs hot dogs, cheap (Bar S works great for me)
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 bunch fresh dill sprig
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon crushed brown mustard seeds
- 2 pints rice vinegar, unseasoned
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the garlic cloves into 3 or 4 Large slices apiece.
- Rinse the dill sprigs and leave whole.
- Cut the hot dogs in half (the short way).
- In a large container, place a layer of garlic and dill. Top with half of the hot dog pieces. Place another layer of garlic and dill (reserving some for the top), and the remaining hot dog pieces. Put remaining garlic and dill on top.
- Sprinkle the pepper flakes and mustard powder on top and cover all with rice vinegar.
- Let "marinate" in the frige for a week for the best flavor, then inhale as needed.