Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
We learnt this recipe at a cooking class at our favorite local Thai restaurant, Laos Thai Market. It is wonderful and so easy. Also, the perfect food when you feel a cold/congestion coming on.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons chili paste with soybean oil
- 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 can straw mushroom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon msg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tamarind soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 -2 kaffir lime leaf
- 1 leaf lemongrass
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, just before serving
- Cut chicken into thin strips and boil in chicken stock with chili paste and thin soy sauce for to 2 to 3 minutes until the chicken turns white.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until the chicken is done, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve steaming hot.
Sorry, but any recipe for Thom Kah (or almost any Thai dish) that doesen't include copious amounts of fish sauce cannot possibly be authentic. It's one of the 4 basic pillars of all Thai cooking. Props on the use of kaffir lime leaves (only 1 or 2?) and lemongrass, but that's nowhere near enough to provide the necessary sourness, another of the pillars. You're not far off... leave out the msg and paprika, use chili paste as the base, and get the balance right of the 4 basic Thai flavors (hot, sweet, sour, salty) and you'll have authentic Thom Kah. You can't possibly give amounts for those flavors, it absolutely must be to taste.
If I could give this more than 5 stars I would. Perfect comfort food for a rainy dull day. I followed the recipe as closely as I could. I cannot get tamarind soup mix so I substitutes with 1 tsp dried tamarind finely chopped. Also I used dried lemon grass (1/2 tsp), The Kafir Lime leaves were dried also Used 2). Some things are very difficult to buy here fresh. I omitted the MSG. The straw mushrooms are a must. I included the water with the mushrooms. This soup has a wonderful warming flavor but not too spicey for those of you that may not like hot hot. We really enjoyed our lunch today thanks Kimke I will make this again for sure