Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the book, A Little Vietnamese Cookbook.
- 14 asparagus spears, trimmed (fresh asparagus only, not canned!)
- 1 seafood stock, cube or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 ounces water
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in a little water
- 8 ounces crabmeat
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Trim off about 1/2" of the thick ends of the asparagus as they can be pithy.
- Cut each stalk into 1 and 1/2" lengths.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch asparagus for 3 minutes.
- Remove and keep warm.
- Dissolve stock cube in 4 ounces water and bring to a boil.
- Add seasoning, fish sauce and cornstarch liquid and simmer until thick.
- Add crab meat and lower heat.
- Stir in egg white and sesame oil and remove from heat.
- Pour over asparagus and serve immediately.
- Asparagus can also be cooked whole and served with this sauce.