Recipe by Sue Lau
These have a great char-grilled flavor and are perfect for summertime and outdoor cooking. A perfect accompaniment would be Cambodian grilled corn (see recipe on Zaar).
Top Review by canarygirl
Another awesome recipe, Sue! I did have to omit the carrots (the only veggie I don't like on the planet), but the end result was amazing. The nuac cham sauce for dipping is a must! Fabulous! Thanks Sue!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons nuoc nam (spicy fish sauce)
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced gingerroot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 25 canned grape leaves
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons gingerroot, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons carrots, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse grape leaves in hot water; drain.
- Mix beef with garlic, 2 tsp nuoc mam, ginger root, cilantro, 1/2 tsp sugar, dash black pepper, and green onion.
- Place generous tablespoonful on grape leaf, and roll envelope-style.
- For sauce, mix together 4 tbsp fish sauce, 1/2 cup water, 2 tbsp vinegar, 2 tsp sugar, the red pepper, and the 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Stir in 3 tbsp shredded ginger and 2 tbsp shredded carrots to the sauce.
- Place on skewers and grill (If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 20-30 minutes before using), or broil, 6" from heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve rolls with dipping sauce.