Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This savory SHOW-STOPPING CENTERPIECE with every bite being an explosion of flavor! Consisting of a bed sweet, garlic, roasted vegetables placed on a seasoned puff pastry covered with a rich mushroom sauce and topped with an other puff pastry. Serve as called for or as a side by using 1/8 the filling and present with just the bottom pastry. Making for 8 sides. I had it all assemled from start to finish in 1 hour and 15 minutes!
- 1 fennel, sliced into 8 wedges
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 large white russet potato, peeled and cut into 12 wedges
- 1 large white onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
Mushroom Green Peppercorn Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, cubed (if you can find a mushroom jack that's very good)
- 1⁄2 white wine
- 16 ounces puff pastry sheets (Kineret pre cut 8 squares)
- 1 egg, wash
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place all the vegetable ingredients in one layer in an oven and stovetop proof pan. Toss so it is well seasoned and oiled. Roast for 45 minutes. Stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Mushroom Green Peppercorn Sauce:.
- In a large pan heat oil and add mushrooms stir fry for 5 minutes season to taste with salt and pepper. Add garlic, green peppercorns, and butter tossing to coat for one minute. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms to make a roux. Add the chicken stock stirring till slightly thickened. Add milk and cheese and simmer over very low heat. Stirring till assembly of the dish.
- Meanwhile prepare Puff Pastry:.
- Place the 8 squares on a greased cookie sheet pan. Pierce the squares with a fork making holes throughout. Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle seeds and salt over each square. Refrigerate till vegetables have roasted for 25 minutes. Then bake for 20 minutes.
- Finish sauce:.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Place the roasting pan on stove top over medium high heat. Add wine and scrap to remove all the flavor in the pan, reducing to a 1/4 cup. Strain and stir into the Mushroom Green Peppercorn Sauce adding the parsley.
- Plate one pastry square, top with 1/4 of the vegetables pour sauce over the vegetables then top with another pastry square.
- Garnish with Fennel Fronds.
Delicious - flavorful - can't get enough of them. This recipe is a winner.