1/8 Photos of This Napoleon Rules!
1 hr 15 mins
This savory SHOW-STOPPING CENTERPIECE with every bite being an explosion of flavor! Consisting of a bed sweet, garlic, roasted vegetables placed on a seasoned puff pastry covered with a rich mushroom sauce and topped with an other puff pastry. Serve as called for or as a side by using 1/8 the filling and present with just the bottom pastry. Making for 8 sides. I had it all assemled from start to finish in 1 hour and 15 minutes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 fennel, sliced into 8 wedges
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 large white russet potato, peeled and cut into 12 wedges
- 1 large white onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
Mushroom Green Peppercorn Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, cubed (if you can find a mushroom jack that's very good)
- 1/2 white wine
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Place all the vegetable ingredients in one layer in an oven and stovetop proof pan. Toss so it is well seasoned and oiled. Roast for 45 minutes. Stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- 4Mushroom Green Peppercorn Sauce:.
- 5In a large pan heat oil and add mushrooms stir fry for 5 minutes season to taste with salt and pepper. Add garlic, green peppercorns, and butter tossing to coat for one minute. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms to make a roux. Add the chicken stock stirring till slightly thickened. Add milk and cheese and simmer over very low heat. Stirring till assembly of the dish.
- 6Meanwhile prepare Puff Pastry:.
- 7Place the 8 squares on a greased cookie sheet pan. Pierce the squares with a fork making holes throughout. Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle seeds and salt over each square. Refrigerate till vegetables have roasted for 25 minutes. Then bake for 20 minutes.
- 8Finish sauce:.
- 9Transfer cooked vegetables to a dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- 10Place the roasting pan on stove top over medium high heat. Add wine and scrap to remove all the flavor in the pan, reducing to a 1/4 cup. Strain and stir into the Mushroom Green Peppercorn Sauce adding the parsley.
- 12Plate one pastry square, top with 1/4 of the vegetables pour sauce over the vegetables then top with another pastry square.
- 13Garnish with Fennel Fronds.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for This Napoleon Rules!
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1036.0
- Calories from Fat 609
- Total Fat 67.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 87.5 mg
- Sodium 729.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 21.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: