Recipe by Bergy
Flavorful. attractive dish that is not too hard on the pocket-book. Make it as hot or as mild as you like. You can make this in advance and bake longer in the final step
Top Review by Derf
Excellent recipe!!I say that even though my DH is not fond of squash! He even scraped what he could off the skin and enjoyed every mouthfull. I cut the reciepe in half, one acorn squash, cut in half, filled with all that delicious stuff. I didn't change anything, even used all the hot sauce except, I couldn't believe it, but I was out of bread crumbs but did have some wheat germ, so I used it and it was wonderfull!! Gave it kind of a nutty flavour. This was a great combination of flavours, they seem to complement each other, and the cheese and crumb/butter topping is real heaven. We will definately make this one again!!
- 1 lb pork sausage link, removed from casings
- 2 pumpkin, cut in half & seeded (Acorn Squash)
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 (7 ounce) cansweet kernel corn
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (more or less it's up to you)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs or 1 cup white breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cleaned Acorn squash cut side down in a baking dish and add 1/2" water, cover with foil, bake in 375f oven until tender (apprx 45 min) or use your Micro wave for this step Remove from oven and pour out any remaining water.
- Turn cut side up (if necessary cut a thin slice off the bottom so they will sit firmly up right.) Meanwhile remove casings from sausages and pan fry, stir to remove any lumps (8 minutes), remove grease.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms, stir and cook 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add pepper, corn & Zucchini stir& cook 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the hotsauce, salt& pepper.
- Divide the filling between the 4 squash halves, Mound the filling in the center hollow.
- Mix melted butter with the bread crumbs.
- Top with 1/4 cup of cheese and the crumbs on last.
- Bake in350f oven until the crumbs are golden, the cheese is melted and they are heated through apprx 15-minutes.