Recipe by Jes-cooks
If you dont enjoy, or cant always eat red meat, this may be a perfect substitution. Its a heart, tasty, explosive on your taste buds burger that can be topped with your favorite toppings just as you would with a regular burger. I make it for my nieces all the time and they absolutely love it. Considering they are 12 and 5, feeding them tuna mixed with veggies.....that they LOVE.....is a great thing.
Top Review by domesticdivawannabe
Really good! The first non-meat burgers I've ever made that stayed together while cooking/flipping. So good, I even made them for the in-laws. I'm not the world's biggest canned tuna fan; the title of this recipe is correct... "this is tuna?"
- 12 ounces tuna, drained (2 cans, usually)
- 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs (I like the italian style breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (I use fresh, if you are using pre-packaged dry parsely only use 1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons chopped white onions
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons egg substitute or 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil (or margarine, dont use butter, it has salt, that mixes with the salt already added to the mix)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients (but not the tuna or the oil yet) together in a bowl. Once they are mixed well add the Tuna to the mix, and fold it into itself until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Heat a sauce pan with the oil on a medium heat.
- while that heats up for a minute, grab a good amount of the mixture in the bowl, and shape it like a burger (this mix will make 2-3 burgers).
- place the burger in the pan and cook it for 3-5 minutes on each side (you will know its done on that side because it will be a light-medium brown.
- place it on a burger bun, or a pita like I do. Top it with cheese, or tomatoes, or lettuce, or all of them plus whatever else you would like.
- This is a great alternative to beef burgers, that arent healthy to eat too often.