Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this is a Marlboro Cookbook and it sounds amazing
Make and share this Thirsty Bird recipe from Food.com.
Spice Rub Mix
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole chicken, 4-5 pounds
- 12 ounces Coke
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- mesquite wood chips (for smoking-see below)
- Mix all ingredients for spice rub in a small bowl and set aside.
- Thoroughly clean and rinse the chicken. Pat dry. Coat inside and outside of chicken with several tablespoons of the rub mix. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat grill for indirect cooking over medium heat using mesquite chips.
- Pour out half of coke from can. Add lime juice to can and place on drop pan in center of grill. Carefully position chicken upright over the can, adjusting legs to balance. Sprinkle with more spice rub. Cook on covered grill 1 hour or until juices run clear when poked with a fork. Keep the lid closed as much as possible. Using tongs and oven mitts, carefully remove chicken and can from grill. Let chicken rest upright for 10 minutes before lifting off from can. Discard coke. Carve chicken or cut into serving pieces.
- Mesquite chips: soak a handful of mesquite chips in water for about an hour. Remove the chips and mound on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Fold foil over and crimp edges. Poke 3-4 holes in the top only. When the grill is heated up, place packet directly on the coals.