A Scandinavian-inspired dressing/sauce for your favourite piece of plainly-cooked or grilled fish - lovely dolloped over salmon or a white fish fillet! Or try it as a dip for chips. If you're watching your weight, 'light' products will reduce the calorie count, but the flavour will still be awesome!
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 small beetroot, grated coarse (I buy precooked, vacuum-packed, or canned)
- 1⁄4 cup gherkins or 1⁄4 cup cornichon, very finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, very finely minced
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, very finely minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Dissolve the sugar in the red wine vinegar. Combine all the ingredients together, mixing gently to incorporate and spread the colour of the beetroot throughout the dressing. Taste and season with salt and pepper to suit your taste.
- Observe the banner of the RedHot Renegades. Observe the colour of this lovely dressing/sauce. See? ;-).
- Refrigerate in a covered container for atleast two hours before serving to allow flavours to meld and develop.
- Note 1: I have since stirred in some of those tiny pre-cooked shrimp into this dressing and served over crispbread with a sprig of dill for a smorgasbord-inspired treat.
- Note 2: Also works great as a dressing for potato salad.