Recipe by Maureenie
I found this recipe on the Internet in 2000, but cannot remember where. A brisket is a home-style roast of beef that takes lots of braising liquid and slow cooking. This recipe, loosely based on Coca-Cola's original "Family Pot Roast," is outstanding and the secret of many a delicatessen's brisket recipe. This recipe makes its own gravy. May also add cut up potatoes in the last 75 minutes, depending on how much gravy you desire. The potatoes will leave very little gravy, if any.
- 4 lbs beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) packageany brand spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 cup Coke or 1 cup Pepsi
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 large carrots, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place meat in a large roasting pan and smear with oil on all 4 sides. Sprinkle with onion and celery.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Then place the minced garlic on top.
- Mix tomato paste with hot water, the onion soup mix, and the dry spaghetti mix to dissolve dry ingredients.
- Add Coca-Cola and bay leaf.
- Pour mixture over meat.
- Roast with foil cover at 350 degrees for 2.5-3 hours, basting every 20 to 30 minutes. Place cut carrots around the roast for the last 75 minutes of cooking.
- When meat is done, allow it to rest 30 minutes on the counter.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Slice the meat and return the slices to the pan with the gravy.
- Bake an additional 25 minutes to further tenderize the mear.
- You can also slice, refrigerate, and reheat the roast the next day. This, in fact, is recommended.