Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
What goes better with latkes than brisket? A brisket is a delicatessen style roast of beef that takes well to braising in liquid and slow cooking. If your regular supermarket doesn't sell brisket, ask your butcher to prepare one for you, or try a kosher meat market.
- 1 beef brisket (approx. 4 lbs.- 1st or 2nd cut)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- salt, pepper
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 cup cola
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Place meat in a large roasting pan and cover with oil on all sides.
- Sprinkle on onions and celery.
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place crushed garlic on top.
- Mix ketchup with hot water, onion soup powder and dry spaghetti mix to dissolve dry ingredients.
- Add cola and pour mixture over meat.
- Roast 2 1/2- 3 hours, covered with foil, opening to baste every 20-30 minutes.
- Serve sliced when done, or slice entire brisket and reheat in gravy next day (30 minutes in a 350 F. oven for extra tender slices).
I have a very similar recipe at home didn't make it yet but plan to make it this week for succos will let you know how it came out.
I have to be honest and say that the Coke and ketchup gave me a real pause but I'm so glad that I tried this recipe! It wasn't overly sweet and the coke made the roast so tender. The spaghetti sauce and onion soup made a great tasting sauce and it's so easy! Add to this the fact that it's not high in calories. Whats not to love? Mirj you have a winner.