Recipe by Mirj
What goes better with latkes than brisket? A brisket is a delicatessen style roast of beef that takes well to braising in liquid and slow cooking. If your regular supermarket doesn't sell brisket, ask your butcher to prepare one for you, or try a kosher meat market.
- 1 beef brisket (approx. 4 lbs.- 1st or 2nd cut)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- salt, pepper
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 cup cola
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Place meat in a large roasting pan and cover with oil on all sides.
- Sprinkle on onions and celery.
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place crushed garlic on top.
- Mix ketchup with hot water, onion soup powder and dry spaghetti mix to dissolve dry ingredients.
- Add cola and pour mixture over meat.
- Roast 2 1/2- 3 hours, covered with foil, opening to baste every 20-30 minutes.
- Serve sliced when done, or slice entire brisket and reheat in gravy next day (30 minutes in a 350 F. oven for extra tender slices).