Recipe by Huskergirl
From "A Taste of Italy" Cookbook. This is my all time favorite pizza dough. It can be used as either thin which is our favorite or for a thicker crust. I have even used it to make grilled pizzas when it was too hot to turn on the oven. Hope you try it. It is a little time consuming but it is so worth it. I can make 2,12 inch pizzas 1, 17 inch pizza, or 8, 5 inch pizzas from this recipe.
Top Review by Scubadog_
Genuinely one of the best pizzas I've had in my life. It was properly crunchy, since I cooked the base itself for about a minute before putting the toppings on. I also added about half a teaspoon of crushed garlic and oregano. Big thanks for this! I finally have a proper recipe to go back to when I crave a pizza!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast or 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (110 degrees)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let proof for 5 minutes or until foamy. Can use rapid rise yeast.
- Stir in salt, oil, and 2 cups of flour. Mix well.
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour: stir until a sticky ball forms.
- Knead 5 minuted on flour surface until smooth and elastic. Coat with cooking spray, place in a bowl and cover.
- Let rise 30 minutes for thicker dough, and 2 hours for thinner dough.
- After rising time punch down. Thinner crust divide in half. If thicker crust use all of dough. let rest 10 minutes.
- Dust pizza pan with cornmeal. Flatten dough on pan; gently pulling and stretching to fit pan, if it resists let dough rest another 5 minutes.
- Brush with oil. Take a fork and pierce dough several times to keep dough from forming air pockets. Bake for 7 minutes.
- Take dough out and put you favorite topping on and then continue baking for another 7 to 10 minutes.
- If you want to make grilled pizza I usually make small individual pizzas that way everyone can add their own topping from an array of ingredients. Place flattened dough on grill for about 5 minutes flip and add all ingredients for pizza. cook until cheese is melted and bottom of crust is crispy.