Prep2 hrs 15 mins
From "A Taste of Italy" Cookbook. This is my all time favorite pizza dough. It can be used as either thin which is our favorite or for a thicker crust. I have even used it to make grilled pizzas when it was too hot to turn on the oven. Hope you try it. It is a little time consuming but it is so worth it. I can make 2,12 inch pizzas 1, 17 inch pizza, or 8, 5 inch pizzas from this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let proof for 5 minutes or until foamy. Can use rapid rise yeast.
- Stir in salt, oil, and 2 cups of flour. Mix well.
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour: stir until a sticky ball forms.
- Knead 5 minuted on flour surface until smooth and elastic. Coat with cooking spray, place in a bowl and cover.
- Let rise 30 minutes for thicker dough, and 2 hours for thinner dough.
- After rising time punch down. Thinner crust divide in half. If thicker crust use all of dough. let rest 10 minutes.
- Dust pizza pan with cornmeal. Flatten dough on pan; gently pulling and stretching to fit pan, if it resists let dough rest another 5 minutes.
- Brush with oil. Take a fork and pierce dough several times to keep dough from forming air pockets. Bake for 7 minutes.
- Take dough out and put you favorite topping on and then continue baking for another 7 to 10 minutes.
- If you want to make grilled pizza I usually make small individual pizzas that way everyone can add their own topping from an array of ingredients. Place flattened dough on grill for about 5 minutes flip and add all ingredients for pizza. cook until cheese is melted and bottom of crust is crispy.