Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
These don't have the traditional mint filling, but are still just as good. :P
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. With the mixer on low speed, add in the milk and the extracts. Mixture will look curdled. Gradually, add in the flour mixture until fully incorporated.
- Shape dough into two logs, about 1 1/2 inches (or about 4 cm) in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1-2 hours, until dough is very firm.
- Preheat oven to 375F before slicing your cookies.
- Slice dough into rounds not more than 1/4 inch thick and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cookies will not spread very much.
- Bake at 375F for 13-15 minutes. Cookies should be crisp when they cool.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired.