Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
"Cookie Season" is that time of year when the local Girl Scout Troops just about bankrupt me. This recipe has saved me from financial ruin.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package fudge cake mix (Betty Crocker is best)
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour, sifted
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 3 tablespoons water
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 (12 ounce) bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- Combine all cookie ingredients in lg bowl, gradually adding water until dough forms.
- Cover & chill 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out portion of dough just under 1/16” thick. Cut with 1 ½” cookie cutter or lid from spice jar. Arrange cut wafers on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes, remove from oven, & cool completely.
- Combine chocolate ships with peppermint extract & shortening in large microwave safe bowl. Heat on 50% power for 2 minutes, stir, then heat for additional minute. Mixture should be smooth---if not, microwave in 30 second intervals and stir until smooth.
- Use fork or tongs to dip each wafer in chocolate then place cookies side by side on wax paper-lined baking sheet
- Refrigerate until firm.
I loved this recipe. However I did add 1 to 1 1/2 t. peppermint, instead of the 3/4 t.
The dough was too sticky to roll out, I did drop cookies and frosted them with melted milk chocolate chips. I added 1/4 tsp peppermint oil to the dough and left the frosting plain, were really good and tasty.
I liked these cookies without the frosting on them, they kind of taste like chocolate graham crackers or chocolate animal crackers.