Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe for Chinese salad dressing comes from Henry Chung's Hunan Style Chinese Cookbook. Henry's restaurant, Hunan, on Sansome St in San Francisco is my all-time favorite! The cookbook is long out of print but you may be able to find it through an internet used book site.
- 3 soy sauce (Kikkoman or a combination of light and dark Chinese soy)
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chinese hot red hot pepper oil (or sambal oelek)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro (optional)
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock, as needed
- Mix all ingredients together, tasting as you go to taste.
- Serve with shredded cabbage, fresh bean sprouts, etc.