Recipe by Maryland Jim
This is a cookie recipe from the book "1001 Cookie Recipes". My youngest (22) really likes these. I normally do them around Christmas but son asked for some, so I made them and thought I would share the recipe.
Top Review by graniteangel
I'm late making these, but they were worth the wait. Delightful little fruit filled cookies. I used apple jelly and sprinkled them with a bit of cinnamon sugar for Thanksgiving. Everyone loved them, and I'm looking forward to making them again. Thanks Maryland Jim!
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almonds, ground
- 1⁄3 cup fruit preserves or 1⁄3 cup jelly
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and brown sugar. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Gradually blend in the flour.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Pinch off small pieces of dough and roll into balls. Roll the balls in the beaten egg white, then in the ground almonds, and placed 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. With your fingers, press and indentation into the center of each ball.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes , until lightly browned in color. Fill each cookie with a dab of preserves/jelly the transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Note: We really like home made strawberry or blueberry perserves in these cookies!