Recipe by Converting to vegan
I LOVE soup and this soup is easily a meal in of itself. It's also a testament to the fact that meat does not need to be added to everything to make it taste great. The beauty of this recipe is its simplicity and it tastes delicious. It is great with some fresh white bread for dipping.
Top Review by UmmBinat
This is quite good but I think I would like it better without the yellow split peas I used!! I had to add additional water and added sea salt and freshly ground black pepper after cooking. I didn't have potatoes but added both turnip and rutabaga (the white and the yellow, small & large) I also added some buttercup squash but wouldn't recommend that and that is not taken into account in the star review. Not a make again for us.
- 1 lb split peas (yellow or green)
- 6 cups water
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups turnips, chopped (rutabaga may be substituted)
- 4 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Throw all the ingredients into a large pot, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 2 hours, or until the peas have completely softened.
- Make sure you stir this frequently as it will have a tendency to stick to the pot. Add more water if gets too thick.