Recipe by Baby Kato
I hope you enjoy this spicy and hearty soup that was created for RSC 9. Serve with a crusty loaf of white bread and sweet butter.
Top Review by Susie D
I was intrigued by the combination of ingredients in this recipe. They worked together wonderfully, very different from what I normally make, but good. I ended up omitting the dried apricot garnish as there were still so many contest ingredients used in the recipe, but don't think that affected the flavor. I garnished with chopped cilantro instead. Good luck in the contest!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, coarse
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet white onion, chopped
- 2 large fresh shallots, finely chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, whole, crushed, undrained
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 cup fresh carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh white potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (garnish)
- 1 fresh scallion, finely chopped (garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, finely sliced (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot, over medium heat.
- Add fennel seeds, sea salt, orange rind, ginger, garlic, onions, shallots and fry on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Next add the red curry paste, soya sauce and peanut butter, fry on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly, don't let it burn.
- Quickly add chicken stock, tomato juice, pumpkin puree, brown sugar and cinnamon stick.
- Stir and bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and let simmer 20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and let simmer another 20 minutes.
- Finally add the carrots, potatoes and crushed tomatoes, let the soup simmer for 40 minutes.
- Once potatoes are tender, remove the cinnamon stick, taste the soup and reseason with salt and/or brown sugar if necessary, according to taste.
- Pour soup into blender and puree until the soup is smooth.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes, finely chopped scallions and diced apricots.
- Serve immediately.