Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is an extremely thick hardy soup, a whole meal in a bowl. We usually have some raw vegetables with dip and some good crusty bread with it. It freezes very well. I've had this recipe for sometime now. I believe it came from the first year of the Taste of Home magazine, but I'm not positive.
- 226.79 g ground beef
- 226.79 g sweet Italian sausage link
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 793.78 g can Italian-style tomatoes, with basil,do not drain,roughly break-up tomatoes
- 473.18 ml beef broth
- 236.59 ml tomato juice
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml dried basil, crumbled
- 1.23 ml dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh pepper
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 236.59 ml raw spaghetti, broken into 1 inch pieces
- 236.59 ml frozen peas
- 118.29 ml sliced ripe olives
- grated parmesan cheese
- Saute meats with onions and garlic in large soup kettle.
- Drain excess grease.
- Add next 10 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 60 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add peas and olives,cook, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese.
This was only ok for us. It was bland and definitely not soupy. I will likely only make with considerable alterations.
This was good and everybody liked it! I did have to add water a few times during the cooking process because it became too thick. It was kind of like one-pot-spaghetti rather than soup. Thanks for the recipe mickie49!