Recipe by Bec
The vanilla sauce and jam can be refrigerated for up to 3 days if you want to make it ahead. Also, try pairing these panini with vanilla shakes- It's great! From Food & Wine, June 2005.
Top Review by AKillian24
I made just the sandwich portion of this recipe to serve with champagne and loved it! I sprinkled a little bit of grated chocolate for kick and used a george foreman grill for the 'panini press'. GREAT outcome! Thanks!
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 vanilla beans, split and seeds scraped
- 1 lb strawberry, sliced (2 pints)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices brioche bread (1/2-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large metal bowl with ice water and set another large metal bowl in it- Set a strainer in the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 1/4 cup of the sugar until slightly pale.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk with the cream and vanilla beans and seeds until small bubbles appear around the edge.
- Add the hot milk to the egg mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
- Return the vanilla mixture to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Strain the vanilla sauce into the bowl in the ice bath and let cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the strawberries, orange juice, zest, vinegar and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar; season very lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture has become jammy, about 10 minutes- Transfer the jam to a bowl and let cool.
- Heat a panini press or griddle over low heat. Spread the mascarpone on 4 of the brioche slices.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the jam on each of the other 4 slices and close the sandwiches.
- Brush the sandwiches with butter and grill or press until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the panini to a cutting board and dash with confectioner's sugar.
- Halve each sandwich.
- Put 1 pint of ice cream and half of the vanilla sauce in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into 2 large glasses.
- Repeat with remaining ice cream and vanilla sauce to make 2 more shakes.
- Serve the milk shakes right away, with the panini.