Recipe by tiffanylea
This is a family favorite passed down from generation to generation. I have tweaked it slightly because I prefer a thicker pot pie. This recipe is also great with turkey!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs whole chickens
- 1 (16 ounce) bagpot pie square noodles
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion
- 5 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup flour (slightly more if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place whole chicken in stock pot, fill water so that it just covers the top of chicken (about 3 1/2 quarts). Add bay leaf and bouillon cubes. Cook on medium heat for about 1.5 hours. Dice onion and cut potatoes while chicken cooks.
- Once chicken starts to fall off bone, remove from pot and add potatoes, noodles, onion, garlic, parsley and pepper. Piece chicken and begin roux (instructions below), set chicken aside.
- Cook potatoes and noodles until tender and being careful not to cook off to much of broth.
- Add chicken once potatoes and noodles are tender; add roux to thicken.
- Heat small skillet on high, remove from heat.
- Add butter and brown; be careful not to burn butter (butter should completely melt and brown within seconds).
- Add olive oil, then flour and whisk until smooth (if needed add slightly more flour until thickened).