Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This thick and spicy curried lentil soup comes from The Vegetarian Gourmet.
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth (preferably cauliflower, but any vegetable broth is fine)
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 -4 dates, pitted
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated skim milk
- In medium soup pot, cook lentils in broth and 3 cups water until tender (usually around 35 minutes).
- Allow lentils to cool a little, puree them, and return them to the soup pot.
- Puree tomato, garlic and dates and add this mixture to the pureed lentils.
- Stir in spices and remaining 1 1/2 cups water, and simmer soup slowly for 20 minutes.
- Add evaporated skimmed milk, then heat and serve.