Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
Italian-style hot chocolate. Thick, dark and seductive. Add a little cayenne pepper and cinnamon, top with whipped cream if you wish! Recipe makes FOUR half cup servings.
- 2 cups half-and-half, plus
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half (divided)
- 3 teaspoons arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (as close to 70 percent cacao as possible)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the half-and-half with the arrowroot, whisking until smooth.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of half-and-half in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. When the half-and-half begins to bubble around the edges, whisk in the sugar. Whisk in the arrowroot mixture until the half-and-half thickens slightly, usually less than a minute.
- Remove from the heat and quickly whisk in the chocolate until smooth.
- Pour into cups, top both with a pinch of orange zest, and serve immediately.
Made for PAC, Spring 2007 ~ I usually like my hot chocolate on the sweet side, but decided to try this recipe as written! It's a good tasting chocolate, but another time I MIGHT increast the sugar just a little, & add a little more orange zest! Thanks for sharing it!