Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
My husband likes the thickness of this soup which is accomplished by adding a couple of potatoes towards the end of cooking that are than mashed to thicken the soup.
- 1 lb navy beans
- 7 cups water
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 ham bone
- Either soak beans over night or quick soak by covering beans with 2 inches of water, bringing to a boil for 2 minutes and letting set for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, add all ingredients, except for the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove ham bone and pick off meat, give ham bones to dog.
- Return ham to soup along with potatoes.
- Cook for 1/2 hour more or until potatoes are tender.
- Take a potato masher and mash the potatoes and some of the beans, this makes a wonderfully thick soup.
- Serve with either crackers or corn muffins. Enjoy!
- Oh yea, salt and pepper to taste!
Mmm - good! Love the thickness, love the taste! This is a keeper!
This was delicious. I added a lot of ham. It was even better as leftovers! I will make it again.