Lura B's Note:
My husband likes the thickness of this soup which is accomplished by adding a couple of potatoes towards the end of cooking that are than mashed to thicken the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Either soak beans over night or quick soak by covering beans with 2 inches of water, bringing to a boil for 2 minutes and letting set for 1 hour.
- 2Drain and rinse beans, add all ingredients, except for the potatoes.
- 3Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Remove ham bone and pick off meat, give ham bones to dog.
- 5Return ham to soup along with potatoes.
- 6Cook for 1/2 hour more or until potatoes are tender.
- 7Take a potato masher and mash the potatoes and some of the beans, this makes a wonderfully thick soup.
- 8Serve with either crackers or corn muffins. Enjoy!
- 9Oh yea, salt and pepper to taste!
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thick Ham and Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 544.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: