Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I was never a fan of plain custard...only having the Birds Instant over here in England, but this made me a very happy girl. Oh how I love comfort food.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup double cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Get all the ingredients together, this comes together quickly -- trust me it will help.
- Beat eggs, set aside.
- Mix Sugar, Flour, Salt, lemon zest.
- Start heating milk and cream to almost boiling
- Add eggs to flour mixture, beat with whisk until smooth.
- When milk is hot, add flour/egg mixture slowly whisking all the time so it doesn't lump up as it does thicken very quickly.
- When nice and thick take off heat and pour into bowl, add coconut cream and butter, whisk in while hot.
- Ok, in the place of coconut cream you can add vanilla, banana flavouring, raspberry, etc -- you can also change the zest as well, orange zest with raspberry goes well, as does lime zest with the coconut. just have some fun :).