Recipe by me & alex
Combination of different recipes and just messin' around. You will never even notice there isn't meat. One satisfying chili.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper, any color
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup dried couscous
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 3 tablespoons diced green chilies
- 1 dash hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oil in large pot.
- add onions, cumin and chile powder (careful not to inhale over pot) cook until fragrant.
- Add celery, bell peppers, carrots, garlic & mushroom (add any other veg or leave out what you don't like).
- when veg begin to soften, add red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, salt and some ground black pepper.
- cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
- add remaining ingredients (can sub barley or bulgar wheat for couscous).
- Bring to boil - stirring.
- reduce heat to medium low.
- simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- If too thick, add more tomato sauce or crushed tomato.
- Serve with sour cream, chopped avocados, chopped cilentro and grated cheese.