Recipe by PAMELA D.
A firm, no ooze, no weep pie. Use better chocolate for a better pie. I use a flat whisk for this recipe. Recently made with all dark brown sugar, liked it even better. Texture is best if you allow pie to sit out of fridge for 30 minutes before serving.
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or bittersweet)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, chopped
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 baked deep dish pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugars, starch, gelatin and salt in med sauce pan.
- Add milk gradually while whisking.
- Add chocolate.
- Cook and whisk over med heat till mixture boils 1 minute, remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk. Gradually pour 1 cup of hot mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Whisk egg and chocolate mixture back into remaining chocolate mixture.
- Return to medium heat, whisking constantly till mixture boils 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Stir till cool and thickened slightly.
- Pour into pre-baked pie shell and cover pie surface with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve topped with sweetened whipped cream.