1/2 Photos of Thick, Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
This recipe makes a cookies with a crisp edge but the center is thick and chewy. It's based on the Quaker Oats recipe which I find it too sweet, so Iuse less sugar. It never has enough raisins in it, so add more. I use only brown sugar (instead of a mix of brown and white). And sometimes, I add chopped walnuts. The trick to getting a really thick, chewy cookie is to chill the dough before you bake it. You can scoop it and then chill it, or, if you’re like us, scoop it, freeze them and store them in a freezer bag so you can bake them as you wish. I find they’re always thicker when baked from the cold — only a couple extra minutes baking is needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Stir this into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in the oats, raisins and walnuts, if using them.
- 3At this point you can either chill the dough for a bit in the fridge and then scoop it, or scoop the cookies onto a sheet and then chill the whole tray before baking them. You could also bake them right away, if you’re impatient, but I do find that they end up slighly less thick.
- 4The cookies should be two inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes (your baking time will vary, depending on your oven and how cold the cookies were going in), taking them out when golden at the edges but still a little undercooked-looking on top. Let them sit on the hot baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thick, Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.4
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 17.9 mg
- Sodium 89.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 1.5 g