This soup is soooooo good, you'll forget about the main course!
Make and share this Thick Beer-Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml celery, chopped fine
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped fine
- 177.44 ml oil
- 354.88 ml flour
- 473.18 ml milk or 473.18 ml half-and-half
- 709.77 ml chicken stock
- 29.58 ml mustard powder
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- 0.25 ml Tabasco sauce
- 4.92 ml salt
- 680.38 g sharp cheddar cheese, grated (or less)
- 510.29 g beer
- Saute celery and onions in oil until transparent.
- Add flour and cook about 7 mins (do not let onions get brown).
- Add milk, chicken stock, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, Tabasco and salt.
- Cook, about 45 mins on low heat.
- Add the shredded cheese; mix well.
- Add the beer; mix.
- Heat through (do not boil).
Very good flavor. Had a bitter aftertaste. I might try using less beer and/or a different kind of beer to try to solve that. I used a Corona. I used 2 cups of cheese and I think I would use more next time. I love thick soups and I never thought I would say this but it was a little too thick for me. Added a little milk to the leftovers for a thinner consistency.
This soup really is nice and thick! I used 1/4 cup of butter insead of 1/4 cup of oil. I used Corona beer, and added it when I added the half and half and broth (to simmer off the alcohol). I used 2 cups of shredded cheddar (the recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs...perhaps it should read 1/2 lb? Otherwise, that would be 6 cups of cheese). Thanx for a great thick soup recipe; I'll make this again.
This soup is WONDERFUL..it is thick so it is very hearty and filling..made it exactly as per recipe EXCEPT I only had 1 lonely little 12oz can of bud lite..still was wonderful..I will make this again and again.. thanks for the wonderful recipe