Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The main reason for posting this recipe is that I want to share this cooking method for Panini with you. This easy trick will give you a perfect Panini as an end result and you don’t have to have a special grill…..just a brick wrapped in aluminum foil!!! Use this or your own favorite Panini recipe, mix and match ingredients or use whatever you have at hand.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh herb, chopped (or some dried bruchetta herbs)
- 2 slices sourdough bread (thick slices)
- 6 slices gruyere cheese
- 4 slices cooked turkey breast
- 4 -6 slices tomatoes
- 6 slices salami
- 4 -6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (depending on the size of the bread) or 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil (depending on the size of the bread)
- You will also need: 1 brick wrapped in aluminum foil.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, mustard and herbs.
- Spread on one side of the bread slices.
- Build your sandwich in this order: Gruyere, turkey, tomato, salami and end with the mozzarella.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil, medium heat, in a frying pan that is large enough to hold the bread, add the bread to the pan and place the brick on top.
- Fry for 3 to 5 minutes, make sure the heat is not too high, you don’t want to burn the bread.
- Remove the brick and bread from the pan, and add the other tablespoon of oil.
- Return the bread to the pan to brown the other side, place the brick on top again and continue to fry until browned to your liking.
- Remove the brick…and serve!
I'm beginning to think that you don't have any recipes less than 10 stars, Pets. Awesome sandwich! I had a wee bit of problem turning it, because it was sooo tall and long, but did. Only ate half at lunch yesterday and the other today. HUGE sandwich and every bite was MMMMM. Made for Pets Support Cook-a-Thon in Cooking Photos. BTW, I used a cast iron grill pan with a cast iron skillet as a weight. LOL
I picked this recipe for Pick A Chef Spring 2009. I have a panini grill so I didn't try the brick method. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. Be sure to have napkins on hand - this sandwich definitely has the ooze factor - the cheese was meltyand gooey and the tomatoes were juicy. Next time, I will probably leave off the gruyere - I thought it had just a little too much gooey cheese, although that's a personal taste. Thanks for posting a very good sandwich, Pets!