Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Pretty much my favorite soup in the world. It has a thick broth rather than a thin, clear one. Yum! My family now has their own substitutions for the bullion and the cream of chicken soup (it still tastes as good with the substitutes) but this is the original recipe from my mom.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed (white or dark)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons white flour
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- pico de gallo, with cilantro
- sour cream
- tortilla chips, crushed
- Soup: Pour all ingredients except chicken, sour cream and flour into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Mix Flour and Water to make a pour-able paste.
- Add flour water mixture to soup while stirring constantly.
- Add more flour/water mix if it is not the consistency you desire.
- Stir until it thickens.
- Reduce heat.
- Add Chicken and Sour Cream.
- Mix Gently.
- Ladle into bowls and add garnish on top.
This looks so great! I am making it tonight! Thanks for sharing.
YUM I loved it! I substituted cornstarch for flour and it was still thick and creamy. I added canned (rinsed) white beans and white hominy because I wanted more bulk without taking away from the beautiful creamy white color. I used Mexican style diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro added. I cut up corn tortillas with scissors to make thin strips, fried them til crispy and served the soup with a handful of those and cut up cilantro on top.
I enjoyed this soup. Followed reciped, but added black beans and corn. That really added to the soup for me