Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe has evolved over the years and is now one of our favorites. It's a versatile recipe that allows you to use whatever combination of ground meat and whichever heat of Rotel your family prefers. I get 6 or 7 quart freezer bags from this recipe, though it's easily halved. As with all my recipes, please feel free to make it your own.
- 3 lbs ground beef (can sub ground poultry)
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (10 ounce) cans rotel (original)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 5 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- in a large skillet, brown ground meat, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Two batches may be necessary.
- Drain well.
- Transfer to a 12 quart stockpot and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 1 or 2 hours uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reaches the thickness you like.
- Cool, package in meal size servings and freeze.