2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe has evolved over the years and is now one of our favorites. It's a versatile recipe that allows you to use whatever combination of ground meat and whichever heat of Rotel your family prefers. I get 6 or 7 quart freezer bags from this recipe, though it's easily halved. As with all my recipes, please feel free to make it your own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs ground beef (can sub ground poultry)
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (10 ounce) cans rotel (original)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 5 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1in a large skillet, brown ground meat, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Two batches may be necessary.
- 2Drain well.
- 3Transfer to a 12 quart stockpot and stir in remaining ingredients.
- 4Simmer 1 or 2 hours uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reaches the thickness you like.
- 5Cool, package in meal size servings and freeze.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thick and Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.8
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 1474.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 30.9 g