Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my spin on a quick, easy, healthy version of zucchini soup a friend of ours served at a party. This is a nice, thick soup -- much like a split pea in consistency. Mediterranean flavor.
- 6 -8 zucchini, sliced (small to medium size)
- 1 large onion, chopped (or 2 medium onions)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lightly saute zucchini, onions and garlic in a pan over medium heat.
- When half way done, add all spices and 1 can of broth and finish cooking until tender, but firm.
- Blend in blender, adding additional stock as needed, stopping when you have a thick, split pea consistency.
4 1/2 stars. This is really good and a nice flavour but I did cut down on the spice somewhat and DH found it still a bit spicy for his taste. I used Gulf Spices (Ibzar) as it is basically the same spices and I already had it made. I replaced the vegetable broth with homemade chicken broth as I had it on hand, which worked fine. Made for ZWT6 NA*ME region, for my team, The Ya Ya Cookerhood.
What a great soup to use up some of the fresh garden zucchini. I loved the cumin and cayenne zing, but I did cut back on all the spices and fixed to suit my taste buds. I also used fat free chicken broth (lemon/herb flavored). I will be making this again. Thanks so much for sharing.
As Momma Diva had promised, a really easy soup to make, even easier if you blend the soup with a stick blender, and a seriously delicious one. :) I made this using my Vegetable Stock. I varied it only in adding 2 leeks (just love the subtle blend of flavours of onion, garlic and leek together) and omitting the cayenne pepper (personal taste preference). Loved the blend of the cumin, black pepper, cinnamon and cardamom with these vegetables. Very different from other zucchini soups I've made, and a recipe I'll certainly be making again and again. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Made for Ali Baba's Babes for ZWT 5.