Recipe by Psalm AKA Typo Qween
This is another recipe from the Anne of Green Gables cookbook. Delicious vegetable soup is perfect on a cold day! Please note all times are approx. If you find they need adjusting please let me know
Top Review by Bayhill
Delicious! We loved this thick, creamy, and flavorful soup. I finely chopped all of the vegetables with my Zyliss chopper so they cooked very quickly. I used a 14.5 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes, 2 cups water with 1-1/2 tsp. of chicken soup base for the broth, and 2% milk. I wanted a thicker soup, so I blended the entire batch (not just half the batch) with my immersion blender until smooth. This created a very thick and creamy soup. I think sweet potatoes would go well in this soup, so next time I might try substituting those for the regular potatoes. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!! *Made for 2010 Spring PAC*
- 2 yellow onions, small
- 2 stalks celery, large peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, medium
- 1 large potatoes or 2 small potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup canned tomatoes or 3 small fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cups chicken broth (or 2 chicken cubes plus 2 cups boiling water)
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 green onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion and celery into tiny pieces.
- Put butter in large saucepan. Add onion and celery. Cook over low heat until they are soft-about 5-7 minutes.
- Chop carrots and potatoes into small pieces. Add peas and set aside.
- Open canned tomatoes and place in large mixing bowl and add salt, pepper, basil, and parsley. Mash tomatoes and seasonings with wooden spoon.
- After onions and celery are soft add chicken broth to the saucepan then add carrots, potatoes, peas, and tomatoes and mix with wooden spoon.
- Bring soup to boil and then turn to medium. Boil gently to cook vegetables-about 15 minutes.
- Pour soup in large mixing bowl, and then ladle half of it into blender and blend on low till very smooth. Pour back into saucepan and then blend back into saucepan. Stir in the milk.
- Heat over medium BUT DON"T LET IT BOIL. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle the green onions on top.