Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
this came from Mr. Food's quick and easy diabetic cooking
- 1 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansready to use reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon browning sauce
- Coat a soup pot with nonstick cooking spray, add the mushrooms and saute over high heat for 4-5 minutes, or until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth, onion powder, and pepper; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- In a small bowl, mix the milk and flour until smooth, gradually add to the soup, stirring constantly, stir in the browning and seaoning sauce and simmer for 5 more minuts, or until thickend.
I made this for my husband tonight, so I'm giving his review--he loved it!! He did think there were too many mushrooms (I made 1/2 the recipe so used 8oz mushrooms) & for next time asked me to use 1/2 the amount. BUT he loved the flavor; thought it was perfect. I added 1/4 tsp seasoning salt & didn't use any browning sauce--maybe I'll try worchestershire sauce next time? I sauteed the mushrooms in light butter cuz hubby likes that flavor. I used 1/2 skim milk & 1/2 fat free half & half--but hubby requested a thicker broth next time so I'll use more flour. Overall, an easy, delicious recipe that went over great with my husband. Thanks so much!!!
Excellent and very simple at the same time. It's almost impossible to eat just one bowl. I just found a new soup to add to my favorites. The only thing I'll do differently next time is make a double batch! Also, I used regular milk and chicken broth for this instead of lowfat, and only 8 ounces of mushrooms because that's all I had. Still delicious!