Recipe by Michelle-Hannahs mom
This recipe came from my husbands Uncle Robbie, who is a great Cook. We were visiting him in Memphis on a cold and snowy day gathering groceries for the next few days. I mentioned how great a bowl of TGI Fridays broccoli cheese soup would be. The next thing I know we gathered the ingredients and were savoring this soup. I am so glad we did not go to the restaurant!!
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli
- 1 cup green onion (chopped and tops and bottoms separated)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 lb colby cheese
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb American cheese or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornstarch (to thicken)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam Broccoli by either putting in Microwave safe dish with lid and a small amount of water, or on stove in a covered sauce pan and small amount of water.
- Cook just until soft.
- Oil skillet 1/8" in bottom.
- Heat, then add 3 TBS Butter.
- Add 2 Tbs Flour, chopped Green onion bottoms and ground Pepper.
- Cook until Yellow in color, just enough so the flour is not raw.
- Add 2 Cans of Chicken Broth.
- Stir quickly, using whisk if you have one.
- Add Steamed Broccoli and any pan liquids.
- Add Green Onion tops, and Simmer 15-20 minutes on Med heat.
- This will slightly reduce liquid and impart flavors. The broccoli breaks apart and "makes" the soup. If you would like whole pieces of broccoli, keep some out to add at the end. This way they will not overcook.
- Reduce heat.
- Add Colby and American Cheeses.
- Cook on low 1 minute.
- Add 1 Cup Half and Half slowly, so it will not clump.
- Here you must watch temperature, so keep it on low.
- Cook 10 minutes.
- Add Cornstarch to water and stir.
- Pour in 1/2 of cornstarch mixture and stir.
- Then pour in 2nd half of mixture and stir.
- Turn heat off and stir until thick.