Recipe by Amber of AZ
They won't know that this raspberry coffee cake is low calorie and low fat. The only thing they will know is that you are an excellent baker and this cake is delicious. I usually do not bother with the glaze. The recipe loses nothing if you opt for a glaze free coffee cake. Enjoy! P.S. This is 3 points per slice.
Top Review by Kim S.
This is HEAVENLY! I was looking for just something like this for fresh raspberries from my CSA box. Wow! Just a perfect recipe--really. I did put the glaze on, but you really didn't need it. I didn't have almonds, though. Also, my yogurt was fat free and it seemed to be fine! It came out of the pan, it sliced just beautifully! This is a keeper keeper!! 9/13/2010--I have made this coffee cake almost every week, since trying it. Last week my CSA box didn't quite have 1 cup of raspberries, so I made up the difference with some frozen blueberries! One time I didn't have plain yogurt, and I substituted Lime yogurt--it was great. This week, I had some peaches from a farm that were a little on the dry mushy side--I skinned them, chopped and measured out 1 cup, added a sprinkle of cinnamon and YUM! This is one very versatile recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened raspberry (fresh or frozen, if using frozen do not thaw)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the flour sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the egg, yogurt, butter, and vanilla: add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Spoon two-thirds of the batter into an 8-in round baking pan (a pie or cake pan work great for this) coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the brown sugar and raspberries; sprinkle over batter.
- Spoon the remaining batter over the top.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched and is golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients.
- Drizzle over coffee cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.