Recipe by Missy Wombat
A quick easy way of making yoghurt and getting some extra use out of that Thermos! Cook time = rest time.
Top Review by Ambervim
Wanting to save energy and get rid of a single purpose appliance with little jars whose lids were cracking.....I did this 4 days ago before I saw this. I was using a 2% pasteurized milk, so I added some dried milk and brought it to 120F. When the temp got back down to 99-105F I added the yogurt and placed it into a wide mouth thermos. Worked great! Ready overnight (8 hours would do). I like mine tart so I will take Bob D's suggestion to let it sit longer.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a heatproof dish and a well fitting lid, or thermos flask with boiling water.
- Heat milk to blood heat 37C/ 98F.
- Put yoghurt into a basin, add a little of the warm milk, stir well and then pour the yoghurt into the pan of milk.
- Stir well, then pour into the warmed dish and cover with the lid.
- Cover the container with a thick cloth and leave in a warm place, such as an airing cupboard, overnight, until the milk clots.
- If a thermos flask is used you do not need a warm place!