Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
It's easy to make your own, all-natural tomato paste with the Thermomix. No additives, no preservatives, you control the amount of salt. By using a carrot to cut the acidity of the tomatoes and add a touch of sweetness - this is a totally sugarless recipe!
- 1 carrot, peeled roughly cut
- 1500 g tomatoes, ripest possible
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the carrot in the TM bowl with enough water to cover by about an inch. Cook 20 min/100º/speed soft.
- Pour out the water and add about half the tomatoes to the TM bowl. Cut the rest so that they'll fit through the hole in the lid - if you use Roma tomatoes you won't need to do this step - they fit fine!
- Gradually turn the speed up to 6. Add the remaining tomatoes into the bowl as it is mixing. After all the tomatoes are in, mix 15 seconds/speed 6.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Mix 10 seconds/speed 6.
- Cook 30 minutes/Varoma/speed 1.5. Scrape down sides.
- Cook 30 minutes/Varoma/speed 1.5 again. Scrape down sides. If the paste is the color and consistency that you like, you're done. If you want your paste thicker or darker red, keep going with the cooking and scraping down in 10 minute intervals until it looks right.
- Remove from heat and freeze whatever you aren't going to use today. It doesn't keep well in the fridge. I froze mine in silicone cupcake cups - 50 grams in each cup. I got about 250 grams of paste from my 1.5 kg of tomatoes.