Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
It must be the crystallized ginger that MAKES these such exceptional cookies. I found the recipe in our local newspaper and have never had better! My DH won't eat any other.
- 2⁄3 cup crystallized ginger
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar, for dipping
- Use your food processor to process the crystallized ginger to small pea-size pieces, or chop with knife.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- While mixing on medium speed (speed 4 on a KitchenAid), add egg and combine until incorporated.
- Add molasses and mix to incorporate.
- Scrape bowl.
- Combine baking soda, salt and other spice in a small bowl and add to butter mixture.
- Beat until thoroughly incorporated.
- Dump flour into bowl and decrease speed to slow.
- Mix until just incorporated.
- Carefully scrape sides and bottom of bowl and mix briefly to incorporate all ingredients.
- Add crystallized ginger and mix to distribute evenly.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a large spoon to measure balls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- With the heel of your hand, slightly flatten dough balls and dip into granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 12-16 minutes.
These are delicious and very easy to make!
I've been wanting to make these for awhile, and finally did today. Wow, are they good! We ate many warm from the oven. One comment-the salt is missing from the ingredients. I used 1/4 tsp. Thanks Judikins! I will make this again!
I wish I could give you 10* for this recipe Judikins. These are the best cookies ever. I made them to give away in my christmas tins and couldn't believe when I tasted one...that I hadn't kept any for myself. I'll be making more of these large, sweet, flavourful ginger cookies. Soooo tasty.