Prep 40 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I live in Arkansas and my wife is from Ohio and we in the south love our chili and we like it a certain way. When my mother-n-law made me some of her chili, it had potatoes in it. I never heard of potatoes in chili, but I tried it and it was great. Been makin' it ever since. But here at home, I don't call it chili. I call it yank stew.
- 2 lbs coarse ground chuck
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package chili seasoning mix (Medium)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cansbush's chili beans, undrained
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, brown the beef with the onions until meat is no longer pink.
- Drain off fat and empty skillet into large crock pot set on low temperature.
- Add seasoning mix,chili powder,bell pepper,tomatoes,potatoes,beans, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and allow to cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve with fritos or crackers. Leftovers freeze well.