Recipe by Lucky Chef
My kids love this song and they love these red beans and rice so it seemed appropriate. This is such an easy recipe I use for the crockpot on Monday's. The leftovers are always better the next day. I always add about a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of vinegar to each bowl of beans when serving it just tastes good. I never salt my beans till right before serving as you do not know how much really needed to after sausage is added and liquids cook down.
Top Review by DuChick
I really wanted the party to happen for me, but my tummy just wasn't up for dancing with this. It was OK, but lacked spice and a kick that maybe chipotle and/or garlic would give it. I also did not add extra water since it had more than enough "juice" even after mashing the beans. MERP'd for Tag It Red Feb. 09 game.
- 453.59 g red beans
- 236.59 ml diced onion
- 236.59 ml diced celery
- 236.59 ml diced bell pepper
- 3 (1190.67 g) can chicken broth
- 453.59 g andouille sausage
- 236.59 ml water
- 946.36 ml cooked white rice
- salt and pepper
- 14.79 ml Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash beans cover with water and bring to boil for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, cover and leave to soak overnite.
- Cook the vegetables till softened.
- Put beans in crock pot.
- Add Mrs. Dash.
- Add vegetables and the chicken broth.
- Cook on high for about 4- 5 hours.
- Check to see if done.
- Turn to low and water if needed.
- Slice sausage and add to bean about the last two hours of cooking.
- Prior to serving pull out 1 1/2 cups beans and juice and mash.
- Add mashed beans back to crock pot turn pot to warm and serve when ready with white rice.