Recipe by Beachbunnymom
Another recipe from my grandmother-in-law. This is a favorite of the family. Everyone asks her for the recipe and I finally got ahold of it. I did tweak it up a bit though.
- 3 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1 1⁄4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut-flavored liqueur
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream (chill in freezer for 10 minutes before using)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease jelly roll pan with shortening. Cover with parchment paper. Grease parchment paper with shortening too.
- In double boiler, melt chocolate chips and coffee. Stir constantly. When completely melted, take out of heat and add hazelnut liquor. Set aside and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Beat egg whites. Slowly add sugar and continue beating till egg whites are stiff.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks and Splenda. Add melted chocolate. Mix well.
- Slowly fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture 1 cup at a time. Do not over fold.
- Spread on prepared jelly roll pan. Bake 15-17 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Place another parchment paper on top of cake, then invert on a flat surface. Cut off edges. Sprinkle cocoa powder all over cake.
- In a bowl, beat whipping cream and sugar till peaks form. Spread all through out cooled cake evenly. Roll cake. Allow to cool in fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.