Recipe by YiayiaMouse
DOES NOT INCLUDE 4-10 HOURS OF REST TIME! This is a recipe that can't go wrong. BTW if you haven't used filo before, just follow the box instructions. Don't be intimidated (MOM!:-D) by it. It's easy to use. I've made this a bunch of times and it never comes out wrong. The longer you can let it sit before serving the better. (DH thinks it's better the next morning!)
- 1 lb phyllo pastry
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 whole cloves
- cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 strip lemon rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter base and sides of 13x9x2 pan (seperate quantity of butter).
- Melt butter and allow to rest to thickened (If you don't you'll need almost DOUBLE the amount!).
- Mix nuts, sugar and spices together.
- Place 9 sheets of filo brushing each with butter before the next is added. (Use pastry brush).
- Spread 1/2 the nut mixture over top sheet of filo.
- Add 2 more sheets (one at a time), buttering between.
- Spread remaining nuts over the top.
- Top with all remaining sheets of filo, buttering between each one.
- Trim edges (around sides of dish) with a VERY sharp knife.
- Butter the top layer.
- Score through the first few layers of filo (into diamond shaped pieces) to facilitate cutting later.
- Sprinkle lightly with water over the top to avoid curling of top layer(s).
- Bake for 30 minutes (middle rack), covering with foil if the top browns too much.
- After 30 minutes, remove from oven.
- Spoon strained syrup over HOT baklava.
- Allow to sit for several hours to all day before serving (the longer, the better).
- While baklava is baking, prepare syrup.
- Place ingredients in saucepan and stir constantly until sugar dissolves completely.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain and allow syrup to cool before using.