Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The best Tofu dish ever -- eat it by itself or combine with rice or sesame noodles and cashews for a meal. I have also tried using the sauce as a marinade & baking and for a nice change make like regular and add 2 tablespoons of your choice of nutbutters to the miso soup (I avoid peanuts due to allergies) bit it works great with cashew butter, almond butter, macademia butter & sessame butter. Great also with toasted nuts sprinkled on top.
- 453.59 g container firm tofu, sliced into 3 stacks length wise (about a 1/4-inch thick)
- 44.37-118.32 ml sesame oil (depends on if nonstick pan)
- 236.59 ml miso soup (cooked, I take a cup of hot water & add miso paste but would probably work with any soup stock)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 14.79 ml potato starch (I'm allergic to corn starch but that would probably work)
- 14.79 ml maple syrup
- 44.37-73.94 ml soy sauce or 44.37-73.94 ml Braggs liquid aminos
- Place 3 tablespoons sesame oil in pan lift pan so oil coats the pan and heat on medium heat about a minute.
- carefully add one tofu stack to oil.
- toast tofu 3-8 minutes (until side is golden brown) then flip and toast the other side until golden brown).
- remove that tofu stack, add more oil if necessary, add second tofu stack.
- toast until golden brown on each side (will toast faster than 1rst stack) repeat process with third stack.
- Place all tofu stacks on a plate and slice into bite size pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add onion to pan, turn stove back onto medium and let it toast until desired softness is reached (I like my onions carmelized).
- Take cup of miso soup make sure it is boiling, add maple syrup and two tablespoons of soy sauce and quickly stir in the potato starch (if you don't stir quickly you will get lumps which some people like and some don't).
- add onions to tofu pour sauce on top and stir. Tofu will absorb some of the liquid. Add additional soy sauce to taste.
- Note for Vegetarian the any soup stock suggested should not be Beef, Chicken, seafood or other meat products. Vegetable would be acceptable.