Subramaniam, the guy who cooks for us, made this delicious kheer the other day. It just rocked our socks! Yesterday I took time out to learn this. It is really easy and tastes like you spent hours over it. Do give this one a try. You won't be disappointed. And, you will get another 12 stars in your crown as 'Kitchen Queen' or 'Kitchen King'! Enjoy:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If using chilled milk, heat it in a large pot until it comes to the half boiled stage. You can use a candy thermometer if you wish. If using milk that was kept unrefrigerated for atleast an hour, then all you need to do is warm it a little and keep it aside.
- 2Put the softened butter in a large pot.
- 3Allow it to melt on low-medium heat watching it so that it does not burn.
- 4Once the butter has melted, add vermicelli to the pot and stir-fry on medium heat for a few minutes until the vermicelli has cooked.
- 5Please taste the vermicelli now to ensure it is completely cooked and not raw because once you add the sugar to it, if it was uncooked then it will remain that way. So you have to be very careful at this point and taste it to be sure it has cooked.
- 6Once the vermicelli is completely cooked, add sugar and crushed cardamoms. Mix thoroughly.
- 7Allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- 8Add water and stir well.
- 9Now, you can increase the heat and allow it to come to a boil.
- 10Lower heat and let it cook on simmer for a few minutes.
- 11Add saffron strands and the warm milk.
- 12Mix well and allow it to cook for a few minutes(5-8 minutes) on medium heat.
- 13Remove from heat and serve warm.
- 14Some like to have it chilled, so it is entirely your choice how you wish to serve this.
- 15Subramaniam recommends serving it while it is warm but I enjoy it better cold.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The World's Best Vermicelli Kheer
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.2
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 75.8 mg
- Sodium 57.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 59.0 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: