Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I usually don't measure and I usually make this for big family gatherings. So Take away from the recipe as you see fit. I get a whole lot of complements on this salad and I enjoy it myself. The bacon bits add crunch and taste.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 big onion, peeled and diced
- 1 dozen egg, hardboiled, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black olives, very well drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2-1 cup bacon bits
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
- 2 -3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Boil macaroni.
- Dice onion.
- Cut olives/cheese/eggs (eggs in big chunks).
- When macaroni is done, drain and rinse until mac is cool.
- Add all ingredients at one at a time stirring in between.
- Add mayo; stir--add mayo; stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Oh wow! I made this Mac-n-cheese salad for a family get together just recently and it was a huge hit. I changed a few things to fit our family's tastes. I added cherry tomatoes, peas and red (purple) onion. I used shredded cheddar cheese instead of cubed at Mom's request and omitted the olives. The bacon bits tops off the salad perfectly. We only used just 5-6 eggs chopped up in it, just our own taste. This is definitely a "print and add to the recipe file box." Thank you for the recipe!
I brought this recipe to a cookout yesterday. Everyone raved about it. I added one pint of grape tomatoes, stems removed and cut in half. It added some nice color to the salad. This is definitely a keeper!
This is delicious! Thanks for posting it!